Co-hosted with San Diego LGBT Community Center
Presenter: L Tuiletufuga (They, Them, Theirs), LMFT
This training will cover a range of topics related to gender identity, including, social, political, and historical constructs of gender, nonbinary terminology and concepts, and inclusive engagement practices. Attendees will gain a greater level of understanding about nonbinary gender identities, comfort in speaking positively and informatively about these identities, and increased proficiency with using gender-inclusive language and pronouns like, “they/them/theirs”. Clinicians will gain ability to support nonbinary and gender non-conforming clients using best practices and following the principals of Cultural Humility and WPATH (World Professional Association for Transgender Health) standards of care. The training will cover life span, providing ways of supporting clients with of the "coming out" process in different stages of life. Clinicians will gain advanced skills in supportive letter writing for clients seeking confirming medical intervention, utilizing DSM V criteria for Gender Dysphoria. The training will provide resources to clinicians, promoting consultation and a community of care approach in supporting the complexity and uniqueness of every individual client's gender journey.
At the end of this training, participants will have:
- Increased knowledge and understanding of gender identity, nonbinary terminology, pronouns and inclusive language clinically and administratively.
- Enhanced clinical skills, humility and understanding in relating to and working with transgender and nonbinary people.
- Expanded understanding of the lives and experiences of some transgender and nonbinary people.
- Understanding of best practice recommendations to be inclusive and affirming.
- Increased skill in conducting Informed Consent clinical interviews and in writing letters of support and diagnosis utilizing the DSM V and the WPATH standards of care.
Members CLICK here to access previous DISTRICT MEETING recordings for FREE (you will need to sign in to this members-only page)
Nonmembers CLICK here to purchase and have access to previous recordings -- Nonmembers can join CSCSW to have access to all District Meeting Workshops for no cost - click here to learn more about membership
L Tuiletufuga’s social location: non-binary-queer person of color. L has worked in the community for over 10 years as a group facilitator and speaker; specializing in embodiment, movement, drama, expressive arts, Mindfulness and meditative techniques, and Motivational/Inspirational collaborative healing. They received their Bachelors of Arts in Theatre and Psychology from the University of California at San Diego and their Master’s Degree in Counseling with an emphasis in Marriage and Family Therapy from San Diego State University. L works in private practice, The LGBT Community Center, and the Hillcrest Youth Center with individuals, couples, families, and groups who are experiencing emerging identities, shifts in preferences, recovering from relational violence and other forms of trauma, and folks who are experiencing issues of immigration, low socio-economic status, and racial marginalization. In their work as a trainer, L creates agency specific presentations, providing practical skills and best practices in topics including Intersectionality, Trans and Nonbinary identities, and LGBTQ client care. In their clinical work L practices an amalgam of Narrative Therapy, Mindfulness techniques, Embodiment/ Play Therapy, and Indigenous/ Native Samoan ancestral healing practices.
This is a District Meeting coordinated by the San Diego District
Staff of San Diego LGBT Community Center can register for free and receive CEU’s
This DISTRICT MEETING meets the qualifications for 2.0 hours of continuing education credit for MFTs, LPCCs, LEPs and/or LCSWs as required by the California Board of Behavioral Sciences.
Note: With supervisor approval, registered ASWs may use CEs toward LCSW hours.
Attendance and Registration Policies
- Non-members of CSCSW will be charged: $10 admission
- For CEU’s there will be an additional charge of: $10 per CEU ($15 for 1.5 CEU’s; $20 for 2 CEU’s)
- CSCSW Members and students will continue to attend and receive CEUs for free
- 14 days or more before event date: Full refund
- 13-7 days before event date: 75% refund
- 6 days or less before event date: No refund
Note: Registration will be canceled if payment is not made at least 7 days prior to the event.