California Society for Clinical Social Work
San Fernando Valley District Presents
Parenting After Fifty: Identifying and Treating Issues between Parents and Adult Children
Presented By: Marsha Spike, LCSW, Nickie Godfrey, LMFT, Charles Lerman, Ph.D., & Yoloanda Noack, LCSW
This is a panel of experienced therapists (practicing in the San Fernando Valley) that have collaborated for many years on developing strategies for parents aged 50 or older to understand and improve their relationships with their adult children.
Just as therapists have focused on the issue of separation as a developmental task for young adults, this presentation will focus on the parent's own tasks of separating and transitioning as their children grow older.
Material to be covered:
- Accepting-their children's major decisions (ex. career, marriage, etc.)
- Differentiating- between financial support and enabling
- Understanding- children's need to define their own lives
1) Participants will be able to help their clients identify and work through barriers to accepting their life choices.
2) Participants will be able to help their clients redefine their role as parents of adult children.
3) Participants will learn how to introduce the concept of separation/ individuation to their clients-- both to understand their own past and in turn to improve their relationships with their adult children.
This course meets the qualifications for 1.5hrs of CE credit for LCSWs, LMFTs, and LPCCs as required by the CA BBS. PCE #1
Everyone is welcome. RSVP Preferred. We especially encourage MSW students to attend. For more information, contact Tanya Moradians, Ph.D., LCSW email@example.com or 818 783-1881.
Co-coordinator: Gloria Gesas, LCSW at firstname.lastname@example.org or 818-990-1053.
The Sherman Oaks Galleria Community Room (at Sepulveda and Ventura). The Community Room is located on the 1st level near the Cheesecake Factory and next to the Paul Mitchell Salon. VALIDATION FOR FREE PARKING ALL DAY will be provided.
All are welcome and may attend at no charge (no CEC certificate). MSW students are encouraged to attend. Light refreshments are provided. Bring your flyers, brochures and business cards for networking and socializing. All are welcome at CSCSW District meetings free of charge and regardless of geography. All clinical disciplines are welcome. Members earn 1.5 CE credits at no cost. Credits for non-members are $10.00 per unit.